Gratitude has been defined as “The feeling of appreciation that comes when you recognize that something is valuable to you, which has nothing to do with its monetary worth.” – Benedictine Monk David Steindl-Rast
Gratitude has been linked to better mental health, self-awareness, better relationships and a sense of fulfillment.
Do you have a mindset of scarcity or a mindset of abundance?
Learn to express your gratitude in specific terms. Consider your gift of gratitude in the following ways:
G: Gratitude [What you give thanks for in your life increases.]
I: Inspiration [Be a dream builder vs. a dream buster. You never know who you are inspiring.]
F: Focus [Choose to FOCUS your time, energy, and conversation around people who inspire you.]
T: Time [It’s the feedback loop of love. Time is how you spend your love.]
Your priorities should be ranked in the following order: F.O.R. FAMILY! OCCUPATION! RECREATION!
The most important work you will ever do is with your family in your own home. “Your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every relationship you have.” -Jane Travis You can’t keep giving golden eggs if you don’t take care of the goose. Self-care is not selfish.
What is your word for 2023? Perhaps you would choose the two words “No Regrets”. Think about how you want to prioritize your time in 2023. The way you spend your time defines who you are. You always move in the direction of your talk. Choose to do the things that build relationships and support your personal values. Don’t wish you could do more. Make the right choices to make those values a reality.
Your mind will always believe everything you tell it. Feed it faith. Feed it truth. Feed it love. Feed it GRATITUDE. Let your thoughts starve problems and feed opportunities. Focus on what is truly important now. Don’t obsess over what you didn’t finish, conversations that didn’t go well, or missed opportunities. You can’t do it all. Focus on the tasks that are before you and the things over which you have control. Leave space for others to use their gifts.
You can always make more money, but you can’t make more time. Time is your most valuable commodity. How will you spend it in 2023?
What are some ways we can implement the gift of gratitude in the multifamily industry?
- Housing is essential to life! Truett Cathy, founder of Chick-fil-A, said, “Food is essential to life, let it be good!” Housing is also essential. This is a valuable, important business. We are providing HOMES!
- Life is richer because of relationships! Many of us have lifelong friendships because work brought us together.
- Life is about the bounce! It is not about when we get knocked down, but how we get back up. We are a resilient industry.
- HOME is where our story begins! We can’t control where our story started, but we can determine how it ends. Our relationships make our lives better.
- Strive for five! What does a Five Star experience look like to you? We need to leave people better than we find them. Even in business relationships, we can make people feel better than before our interaction with them. The best exercise for the heart is reaching down and lifting others up.
We all have so much for which to be grateful. Focus on appreciating the blessings in life rather than on things we wish could be different. Build and nurture relationships that are healthy and supportive. Don’t waste your time and resources on unimportant matters. Work is only one slice of your life. It is not the entire “pie” of your life. Being out of tune with your core values is like driving a car that is out of alignment. When you prioritize your core values, you will thrive and you will be able to give your best to your company and your team. Contributed by Dr. Debbie Phillips
Contributed by: Dr Debbie Phillips
Edge2Learn is an eLearning company whose focus is the Property Management Industry and specializes in property management training and multifamily education. With almost 40 years of experience and a commitment to increasing industry excellence, we are passionate about engaging learners to maximize benefits for both companies and employees. Aligned with a well-respected industry leader, Ellis, Partners in Management Solutions, the Edge2Learn platform provides a turnkey solution for clearly identified needs and opportunities. We prepare learners to deliver a superior customer experience and reduce corporate liability risks and employee turnover.