You are most thoroughly fortified to face the challenges of your business day when you are in a positive state of well-being. Well-being includes the state of feeling well, good mental health, high life satisfaction, a sense of meaning, and the ability to manage stress. Sleep better and stress less for success! The first step along the path to positive well-being is a healthy sleep routine. This helps us to establish the foundation upon which the construct of our well-being will rest.
Many people may believe that the secret to success is to work as many hours of the day as possible, but this is flawed thinking. Instead, you can sleep better and stress less for success. When we are sleep-deprived, we are not our best selves. The National Institute of Health conducted a study of the effect of sleep deprivation on performance. The study revealed a significant lack of sleep slowed response time by up to 50%, and decision-making was as inaccurate as someone with a blood alcohol content of 0.05%. Those numbers continued to climb the more sleep-deprived participants became. So, do you really want to make business decisions in that condition?
A lack of sufficient sleep has shown to cause:
- Poor mental and emotional health
- Impulsive decision-making
- Negative impacts on cardiovascular health and weight
- Deficiencies in immunity
- Negative effects on the brain including processing time, retaining information and learning
Conversely, healthy sleep habits promote:
- The ability to process emotions and information
- The body’s ability to repair itself overnight
- Increased energy and creativity
- Accurate decision-making
- Reduced stress
- Improved skin appearance
If you aren’t sure if you’re getting enough sleep, these signs and symptoms may indicate you need more:
- You wake up feeling tired
- You have regular insomnia
- You grind your teeth at night
- Restless leg syndrome
- Trouble falling asleep at night
- Brain fog and a lack of focus during the day
What do you do if you determine you’re struggling and need to sleep better and stress less for success? Here a few ideas to get you on your way.
If you can change your mind, you can change your sleep.
- A good first step is to change your thinking and mindset regarding sleep. Try to abolish negative thinking about sleep or about not needing to sleep. Don’t use sleep deprivation as a bragging right.
- Unlearn “Revenge Sleep Procrastination.” When you have a hectic day, you may want to reclaim those last minutes (or hours!) for yourself, putting off sleep in favor of “me time.” Start to consider a good sleep routine as part of your “me time.” Sleep better and stress less.
- Work to stop bringing your stressful day with you to bed. Practice “turning off” so you can relax and have a restful sleep. Focus on processing and releasing the stress from the day BEFORE you get into bed – give yourself time early to get ready.
- If you can take a few minutes to prepare your next day the night before, it can help set your mind at ease.
Simplify with these serious solutions to sleep better and stress less.
- Turn off electronics to turn off the mind and reflect. Plan to turn off all electronics at least 30 minutes to an hour before bed. Instead, use this time to prepare for bed and let go of the day; think about 3 things you’d like to let go of from the day and 3 things you’re grateful for that day.
- Relax your body to release pent-up stress. A survey discovered that more than 55% of people who practiced yoga helped them get better sleep, and over 85% said it helped reduce stress. A simple yoga pose you can try before bed is “legs up the wall.” Bring your legs up a wall or your bed frame and relax with your eyes closed for 20 minutes.
- Listen to a guided meditation to help you let go. Look for help and allow yourself to be guided with meditation. There are various styles you can listen to that will help you relax and get settled. You can find many of these on YouTube to help you sleep better and stress less.
Transformation Mentor, Wellness Teacher, and Retreat Facilitator
Alisha Leytem is a transformation mentor, wellness teacher, and retreat facilitator. She has worked with hundreds of people worldwide since 2015 to create wholeness in their mind, body, and soul through coaching, workshops, online courses, weekend retreats, speaking engagements, and more that support their personal transformation and growth. Highly trained as a Certified Wellness Coach, Registered Yoga Teacher, and Meditation Guide, she is passionate about contributing to the awakening of natural living, personal growth, and authentic leadership.
Edge2Learn is an eLearning company whose focus is the Property Management Industry and specializes in property management training and multifamily education. With over 30 years of experience and a commitment to increase industry excellence, we are passionate about engaging learners to maximize benefits for both companies and employees. Aligned with a well-respected industry leader, Ellis, Partners in Management Solutions, the Edge2Learn platform provides a turnkey solution for clearly identified needs and opportunities. We prepare learners to deliver a superior customer experience and also reduce corporate liability risks and overall employee turnover.